Help Us Plant One Million Trees Schools Campaign
As you may be are aware, the INTO is lending its backing to a campaign that aims to plant over one million trees in Africa and Ireland each year, to help combat climate change while educating our pupils and communities on pro-active engagement with environmental issues.
Every school that participates in the One Million Trees campaign will receive a free native Irish tree per classroom, together with age-appropriate lesson plans that can be used by teachers. As we exit the pandemic, this project provides schools with a pro-active educational intervention that resonates positively with the INTOs goal of Global Citizenship and Solidarity, while allowing schoolchildren to do something practical that responds to the climate change challenge.
Trees are one of the most effective ways to remove harmful carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. The communities that Self Help Africa works with in rural Africa have a very small carbon footprint, yet they are among the worst affected by climate change.
This initiative will support the vital food and farming needs of Africa’s rural poor, while contributing to the wider global effort to tackle climate change through the absorption of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
INTO/SHA are signing up schools and classes willing to support this initiative and request your help. You can find more information in INTO Websites, InTouch, INTO E-Newsletters, and from INTO National Committees, Branches, Staff Reps etc. We are now registering schools countrywide to participate and will have a national planting day on Friday, December 3rd.
Self Help Africa welcome voluntary contributions towards the One Million Trees project. Each donation of €2 from schools will allow us to plant an additional 10 trees in your schools name, in Africa. We will provide you with the geo-location of where they are so that you can look at your trees on Google Maps.
Download the relevant documents on the below links:
- Plant the Planet Brochure - DOWNLOAD HERE
- Please find registration details below or DOWNLOAD HERE
- Litir INTO Dréacht Ghaeilge - DOWNLOAD HERE
- Conas clárú nó a bheith rannpháirteach i Aon Mhilliún Crann le Self Help Africa - DOWNLOAD HERE
How to Register/Participate in One Million Trees INTO/Self Help Africa Project
See information in Intouch Magazine (October 2021) or follow links on INTO and Self Help Africa websites.
- Register your school online at selfhelpafrica.org/onemilliontrees/schools. The registration should be completed by a teacher in the school. Please discuss the registration with your principal and colleagues.
- Once your school is registered, each classroom in your school is eligible to receive a native Irish tree sapling and use our age-appropriate resource materials to support your tree planting.
- Commencing on 3rd December 2021, primary schools across Ireland will plant their trees. For each tree that the school plants Self Help Africa will plant 10 more in Africa. You will be provided with the geo-location of where your trees are being, so that you can look up your trees up on Google Earth and Google Maps.
Self Help Africa welcomes voluntary contributions towards the One Million Trees project, and each donation of €2 will allow them to plan an additional 10 trees in your school’s name in Africa. Self Help Africa’s One Million Trees project is affiliated to the UN-backed One Trillion Trees campaign, which was launched in 2015.
Get involved in One Million Trees today. Visit: selfhelpafrica.org/onemilliontrees/schools today to register.